Are you a new reader on this blog?

We are following a plan to read through the bible in one year. you don't have to worry if you fall behind or if you are starting late. Start at the beginning or, if you already started, pick up where you left off and follow along.
People just starting this goal often get bogged down in details, go slow, and eventually quit because it's to hard to reach the end. Remember that it doesn't have to be in one year. When you fall behind just keep going. As you get used to reading you will find yourself going faster and farther and may even catch up.
The first time I did this it took me over 18 months. The last time it took just over 2 months. This time I'm pacing myself to 1 year so others can follow along. Join the quest

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Introduction

WELCOME! This is my first blog, ever.

The objective here is to take the readers through the Bible in one year. I'll follow a simple pre-planned course with a basic study guide pattern. The pattern will look like this example:

Thursday, January 1, 2009 Text: Genesis chapters 1-3


God's Message to me:


Promises:


Commands:


Timeless principles:


How can I apply what I've learned:



When I say "simple pre-planned course" I mean really simple. I use a large print bible I got at a department store for less than $10. It has 1763 pages and I divide by the 365 days in the year 2009AD to get about 5 pages a day.

There are other plans out there and other resources you may find better suited but, having read through the bible several times myself I find the cover to cover method works fine and becomes easier as you get used to reading routinely.

Don't be afraid to fall behind, as you get used to the reading you will catch up.

Don't be afraid to read ahead, Once I got used to reading the bible regularly I managed to go through it cover to cover in under 3 months.

Understand that this is not an in-depth analysis. Your reading through large sections at a time to get the overall meaning and embed God's message in your heart. Understand that you will find passages you don't understand. Joining in the blog discussion allows you to discuss the issues with others. You will also find things you never knew were in the bible. Many teachers tend to stick with areas they are familiar with and never teach all the principles in the bible.

You are embarking on a journey that will open you up to the entire truth God intended you to know in the way he intended you to know it.

It took me just over 18 months to finish the bible the first time I did it. You do not need to race.
I often got busy with other things and neglected my studies. It happens to all of us you just need to get back to the study.

Mistakes, missed days, slowing down, getting sick... None of these things is a reason to stop. Just pick up where you left off and continue on. I expect some may not even start until months after the blog begins. Go back to the post where you are in your study and join the quest. Eventually we will all reach the end and I pray we will all learn from it.

Now:

May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May the Lord make His face to shine upon you,
And Be Gracious to you;
May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Let's continue to the first day's study.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome lesson here, Carl. I was thinking about Cain and Able, and I think you are absolutely right about Cain's tithe not being acceptable because his tithe did not have a blood sacrifice.. but also, I am thinking that Cain had the sin of pride. I feel he did not give with a cheerful heart unto the Lord, but of a prideful heart, and I think God saw that in spades. God knows the heart in which we give.

    Good lesson here. I am wondering why God spared Cain instead of giving him the death penalty. Instead he had to work and do the best he could for the rest of his life. I imagine everyone probably knew he was a killer and his life might have been difficult for that fact alone.

    I've wondered about bad people today. The killers that are in our world today. I wonder if some of those bad people came from the line of Cain, and the good people came from the line of Able.

    Since we are all the offspring coming from Noah, I'm wondering about the gene pool that comes from Cain and Able in our society today.

    Sorry to be so long winded. Great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah was from the 3rd son, Seth so I guess Cain and able are kaput. Considering the number of folks that try to assign racial qualities to the mark of Cain, that's probably a good thing. By having civilization start at Noah, descended from Seth, No one can claim benefit from being the descendant of Able or curse another race for the mark of Cain.
    I have heard arguments for the sin of pride in Cains sacrifice and they seem valid as well but when I heard a sermon on the blood sacrifice it made to much sense to ignore. Cain was prideful and Jealous and a number of other things. Above all though I just think that sin stood between him and God. Interestingly, he did not ask forgiveness for his murder but only protection from the result, A rather sad fact to note.

    ReplyDelete