Are you a new reader on this blog?

We are following a plan to read through the bible in one year. you don't have to worry if you fall behind or if you are starting late. Start at the beginning or, if you already started, pick up where you left off and follow along.
People just starting this goal often get bogged down in details, go slow, and eventually quit because it's to hard to reach the end. Remember that it doesn't have to be in one year. When you fall behind just keep going. As you get used to reading you will find yourself going faster and farther and may even catch up.
The first time I did this it took me over 18 months. The last time it took just over 2 months. This time I'm pacing myself to 1 year so others can follow along. Join the quest

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Genesis chapters 1-3

God's Message to me: Gen 1:26-28 man has dominion over all the earth and everything in it to subdue it.
Chap 2 god sanctified the sabbath (7th day, Saturday) as a day of rest.
The first job of man is to cultivate the land and control his environment.

Promises: God has provided for my needs.

Commands: I am a steward of what God gave me. It is there for me to use. I am to subdue it (place it under my control) and cultivate it (adjust it to produce better and more efficiently).
Keep the sabbath holy. God takes rest and so should we.

Timeless principles: The world around me is for me to use for my needs. I was given dominion over it all to use it.
Even God takes a rest.

How can I apply what I've learned: We are to cultivate as gardeners. Stripping the land as looters with no attempt to keep it useful is wrong. Leaving the land untouched and untended is wrong. Managing the land and it's resources for our benefit is what God made us to do. The resources were put there for us to use.
Remember that God didn't create little worker robots that just keep going. We are supposed to rest on a regular basis.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carl, just letting you know I will read with you. I have just read the first 3 chapters. Thanks. Keep it up and I will stay up with you. I would like to read the bible in a year. I read about 2/3 of the OT, and I did read all of the NT... but never all of it... so I will stick with you here so I can finish.

    Thanks,

    Oreo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Oreo, Glad to have you aboard. The next lesson gets more in depth with a second section for detailed study. Enjoy, Carl

    ReplyDelete