Are you a new reader on this blog?

We are following a plan to read through the bible in one year. you don't have to worry if you fall behind or if you are starting late. Start at the beginning or, if you already started, pick up where you left off and follow along.
People just starting this goal often get bogged down in details, go slow, and eventually quit because it's to hard to reach the end. Remember that it doesn't have to be in one year. When you fall behind just keep going. As you get used to reading you will find yourself going faster and farther and may even catch up.
The first time I did this it took me over 18 months. The last time it took just over 2 months. This time I'm pacing myself to 1 year so others can follow along. Join the quest

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Kings 17-18

this site is going down early tomorrow morning for maintenance and the next post may be late depending on how long it remains down. If things go as usual you shouldn't notice the interruption unless you try to get on between 2 and 5 am.

God’s message to me
: “I will provide.” That’s what God says to me. Through every problem in my life and through every time of “famine” God has provided. There have been times of plenty. As a long haul trucker I made plenty of money and had no worries. I have also had times like this when I couldn’t get work, couldn’t make ends meet and God had to provide. As a child and as an adult, even in the leanest of times, I have never gone without a roof over my head and food on the table. It wasn’t always what I wanted but it was sufficient for my needs. God is capable of prospering us greatly or of simply providing our needs. He does these things to let us know He is God.

In my time of plenty I often forgot Him, skipping church for months or even years, being a workaholic, being a bad example and so on. In my times of little God has reminded me He provides all so that when the plenty returned I remembered Him and when the little returned I trusted Him.

Promises: God can provide all our needs and “possible” has nothing to do it. When the common way of doing things is not available God can use the uncommon and even the supernatural to provide.

Commands: Do not tolerate false Gods or false teachers. The Lord will provide the proof of His truth and existence. Just as he did for Elijah He can and will do the impossible to prove himself. Burning the offering on wood and alter socked with water and an offering soaked in water with a pool of water all around was nothing for the God who can let an entire town be leveled by a tornado and leave the church untouched in the middle. You’ve seen those photo’s and you understand what I’m saying. Those who can see His miracles and still deny Him have made their choice. The rest of us can learn and turn to Him.

It was predicted that the prophets of Baal and Asherah would be sacrificed and in this story we see them all killed after their god was proven false and Jehovah proven true. Note that God didn’t ask for blind faith but provided ample evidence before asking for action.

Timeless principles: not every little disaster is a curse from God. The widow’s son became very ill and died. She saw this as judgment for her sins. God used it as an opportunity to show His unlimited power. God raised the child from the dead showing he could do much more than simply meet their needs.

How can I apply what I’ve learned: Trust God for our needs no matter how great or small. From providing the next meal to raising the dead, God has provided examples to show He is capable of all that we need.

more to learn for in-depth study: Here is an exception to the rule. Elijah is a hero of the bible who did not live the life of Donald Trump. After predicting drought and famine for the king of Israel He lived in hiding near a small stream where ravens brought him food and he drank from the stream. When the stream dried up he lived with a widow and her son. They had a little flour and a little oil and the Lord made sure it never ran out but they did not go without. they weren’t prospering. The four and oil weren’t multiplying so that they had extra and could give it or sell it. It was never used up and it was sufficient for their needs.

tomorrow: First Kings 19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment